FC4t2 no good without LILO

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 14:46:45 UTC 2005

On 4/15/05, Nathan <nathanc at abcsinc.com> wrote:
> I agree FC4 needs lilo, as an option. We use (god help us) dell
> computers as servers, we use raid running on 2 SATA 80gb drives. Grub
> will install fine on the dells , but after a while we would get a
> strange error, saying "BAD PBR" on boot up, and you can go no further,
> without a grub rescue disk that we had to create. The bad pbr would
> happen because the grub.conf file would get corrupt and the raid would
> try to write it back from the mirrored drive, but the grub could not
> handle this. Now we use lilo , which is what we use to do, by default
> before Fedora came out. If lilo could get on, as an install option of
> the fedora core 4, it would make some many people here happy.

Can you reproduce this "bad pbr" behavior or similar failures which
require you to attempt a write back from a mirrored drive. If you can,
please try a fresh install of fc4t2 on a similarly configured box and
seem if the latest grub as configured when anaconda does its install
takes care of your specific issue.

-jef