No Grub menu on dual boot!

duralisis duralisis at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 15:46:46 UTC 2005

duralisis wrote:

> I'm trying to dual boot XP and FC4T2 on separate drives.  XP is on
> hda, Fedora on hdb.  I've had a working FC3 install for a while and
> instead of using grub, I used NTLDR by copying the boot sector of the
> second drive and adding a boot.ini entry.
>
> But, I tried doing a clean install of Test 2 (wiped entire second
> drive clean), only this time I told it to install the boot loader into
> the MBR of hda.  I thought this would make Grub my default boot menu
> now.  But it didn't.  Instead it still boots straight into XP after a
> brief flicker of a black screen (no prompt, no flash of Grub in the
> corner or anything).
>
> I added an entry back into boot.ini to see if that would boot my new
> install (like before), and it doesn't work.  I get a "cannot load from
> harddisk, insert system disk" bootpart error.  Again, this was all
> working just fine in FC3.  I've only tried to use Grub in the MBR this
> time like most people would.
>
> Other than the default install options and automatic partitioning of
> hdb, I only chose Other (Windows XP) to be the default boot target
> during install.
>
> Why can't FC4 boot?  Where did Grub go?  Why is NTLDR still there?

I've found a solution for my problem and have a completely documented
thread at FedoraForums.  Take a look if you're having the same
difficulty after install.

For reference, I needed to boot into rescue mode by booting the first cd
and running

 "linux rescue"

then changing the system root

"chroot /mnt/sysimage"

finally running grub and setting up my 2nd drive...

"grub"
    grub> root (hd1,0) (since fedora /boot is on /hdb)
    grub> setup (hd0) (still the mbr of the first hd)
    grub> quit