FC4t2 no good without LILO

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Fri Apr 15 16:14:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 11:28 -0400, William Hooper wrote:
> Paul Iadonisi said:
> [snip]
> > The bootloader, on the other hand, is a bit difficult to replace
> > if it's not, at a minimum, included on the install media.
>
> I don't see why.  IIUC booting into the running system isn't a requirement
> to set up LILO.  For example, one could boot a Tomsrtbt and install LILO
> from there.
>
> If you aboslutely must go the RPM route, others have pointed out that the
> RPM is only a little over 500K, so you have pleanty of room to spare on a
> floppy (or a quick network copy by booting the install CD in rescue mode).

  I know what your saying, but I think forcing users of systems that
have problems with the current grub to ctrl-alt-F2 and then type 'rpm --
root /mnt/sysimage --ivh /mnt/installimage/Fedora/RPM/compat-stop-using-
this-fricken-bootloader-because-its-going-away-
SOON-lilo-21.4.4-26.i386.rpm' is sufficient to give the hint lilo should
not be relied upon long term.
  That said, I won't complain if lilo is gone from FC4, but I think it
is prudent at this time to include the rpm (and ONLY the rpm) on the
install media.

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator