A rant regarding LILO and various other related issues

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Fri Apr 15 17:53:14 UTC 2005

On Fri 15 Apr 2005 03:43, Chris Adams wrote:

> How is that FUD?  I have given real world examples of why GRUB having a
> command line should not be dismissed lightly.  I've fixed non-booting
> computers remotely with a serial console (at 115200, which LILO can't
> do) at the GRUB prompt.

As a matter of interest, how did you "fix" the computer remotely
if it did not boot?
I would not have thought the serial connection would be alive.

Personally, I much prefer grub, and have always used it in preference to LILO.
But I recognise that a significant number of people prefer LILO.
I find the arrogance of the Fedora team in failing to facilitate this minority
rather disturbing.
I give Fedora many plus marks, but this is definitely a big minus.

Incidentally, the interactive option in grub, which you praise,
could be greatly improved;
it is not at all clear how to use it.
With a little more thought it could be self-explanatory.

This hd(0,1) stuff is nonsense, for a start.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366