FC4 -- really slow

Craig Cruden cacruden at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 18:30:58 UTC 2005

I have installed FC4test2 on my computer (from DVD)
[first attempt at FC4], and it is unbelievably slow.

The booting process took a long time -- and then when
it came time to estimate install time for the packages
-- it started at over 300 minutes to install
everything.

After rebooting -- it was again painfully slow -- 15+
minutes.

It booted to the SMP version (the first time I
realized the processor in that computer was
Hyperthreaded).  The processors ran at 50% utilization
for a while before finally calming down.... but the
whole operating system is still painfully slow.

The computer is based on a

P4C800-E Deluxe (bios updated to current most recent)
P4 3.0E  (3 Gigahertz)
4 GB of main memory (3.4 GB usable).
250 G hard drive (disconnected the other 3 drives
since I could not figure out which one was the
bootable one otherwise).
NVidia GeForce 3

Any ideas -- why this thing is sooooooooooo slow.