A Grub question

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Fri Apr 15 22:12:59 UTC 2005

Once upon a time, Peter Jones <pjones at redhat.com> said:
> On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 15:05 -0500, John Morris wrote:
> > Ok, while all of this Grub wizardry is assembled here, I have a
> > question.  Can you install grub in a partition instead of the MBR once
> > RAID gets involved?
>
> You can do it manually with the grub shell, but I didn't add support for
> using grub-install to install the boot sector onto a partition when
> you've got /boot on a RAID mirror.
>
> I tend think this is something that's not really generally useful, but I
> could probably be convinced that support is worth adding, if you have
> some pretty good reasoning or maybe a patch ;)

At the moment, I'm not doing software RAID on my main home system, but I
hope to before long.  I would like to see the ability to install to the
/boot partition when /boot is software RAID1.

My system is set up with 3 main OS installs: Win2K (need it for firmware
upgrades and such), FC3 i386, and FC3 x86_64.  I also have test installs
from time to time.  To keep them from stepping on each other, I always
install GRUB to the /boot partition for that install.  I created a
single cylinder partition at the front of the disk and put a minimal
GRUB install on it that just chain-loads to the various OS installs on
the system (this is the MBR installed loader).

When I get another drive and go with software RAID for the various /boot
partitions, I will not want GRUB installing to the MBR.  It had
definately not do such without asking.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>