updatedb disabled?

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Sat Apr 16 16:37:56 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 11:51:25AM -0400, Peter Arremann wrote:
> ok - so the plan is to replace one thing that is done wrong (suck battery
> life) with another thing that is wrong (not run as users got to expect it for
> years) for one release only and then come up with a good solution?
<SNIP>
> I at least had a hard time talking to the other guys at work and say "Yes, I
> know from our perspective they are asking 99% of all guys that run a desktop
> to do more work so it benefits the 1% that run a laptop, but this makes more
> sense!"
No, I think updatedb should stay disabled by default even if the laptop
problem is solved, at least as long as slocate is a mandatory package in
the Base comps group.  Most users that run a "desktop" don't use locate, so
running updatedb is just wasted.

If slocate had to be manually selected for installation, it makes sense
to enable it by default... but installing the package is a more complicated
action than enabling updatedb if it is already installed.
	Mirek