network failure after unsigned yum update in FC4t2

Xiyang Chen settinghead at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 17:07:08 UTC 2005

On 16/04/05, Frank Sander <FrankSanderDo at vodafone.de> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had the same problem and figured in demsg, that the irq routing has
> been changed.
>
> -------snip dmesg------------
> ** Routing PCI interrupts for all devices because "pci=routeirq"
> ** was specified.  If this was required to make a driver work,
> ** please email the output of "lspci" to bjorn.helgaas at hp.com
> ** so I can fix the driver.
> ------snap dsmeg--------
>
> pci=routeirq entered on the  kernel boot parms helped in my case.
>
> see you
> Frank
> Xiyang Chen wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I had a problem after "yum update" my FC4t2 system. It got stuck at
> >"determining IP configuration" for quite a long time when starting up,
> >and the system could boot successfully but the network failed to
> >function correctly. The DNS service seemed completely down.
> >
> >Here is the error message shown on screen when booting:
> >icmp open socket: Permission denied.
> >
> >What caused this? Any solutions?
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Xiyang

Please forgive my ignorance, but I am a complete newbie to linux. I
tried 'lspci' command and found the irq of my ethernet adaptor is
'10'. Then I added the following parameter to boot:
pci=irqmask=10
But it still failed when starting the network. The message looked like this:

Bringing up eth0...
Determining IP information: ping: icmp open socket: permission denied
  [failed]
Starting Router discovery...    [failed]

Was I doing the right thing?