updatedb disabled?

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Sat Apr 16 18:24:42 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-16 at 16:01 +0200, Miloslav Trmac wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 09:41:08AM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > Here's my problem.... why can't anacron and cron  use different cronjobs?
> > If the reason why updatedb was disabled by default even for cron was
> > because anacron was running it... why can't anacron just be told to
> > use a subset of scripts and let cron still do all the nightly stuff at
> > 4 am.. if the computer is running at 4 am?  Could we just restructure
> > the cron.daily/ directory into two directories or something cron.daily
> >  and cron.daily.anacron/
> > and have anacron only from the stuff in cron.daily.anacron?
> >
> Yes, that's my vague plan: to make /etc/cron.maintenance or something.
> This would work exactly like cron.daily except that it would be ignored
> when the computer is running on battery.  When it is reconnected to AC,
> anacron is started to run the maintenance tasks.

Would you also consider Dan's suggestion here[1]?  anacron should try to
run when the system is relatively idle in IO terms.  Although updatedb
is actually bearable now that CFQ is back as the default elevator, I
still wouldn't want it to run in parallel with rpm.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2005-April/msg00186.html
--
Ziga