A rant regarding LILO and various other related issues

Timothy Murphy tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Sat Apr 16 19:57:29 UTC 2005

On Fri 15 Apr 2005 19:13, Paul Iadonisi wrote:

> > I find the arrogance of the Fedora team in failing to facilitate this
> > minority rather disturbing.
>
>   If you are referring primarily to this thread, then it's crystal clear
> that the arrogance has been coming from those most vociferously critical
> of the decision to remove lilo.  You can have your objections to it, but
> I find it quite disturbing that ANYONE could support calling the
> developers "morons" and "tards" as somehow justified, despite attempts
> by those doing the insulting to engage in not-so-clever sophistry in the
> service of that false justification.

I have only been following this thread sporadically,
and wasn't aware that anyone had used those terms.
I would certainly dissociate myself completely from any talk like that.

I've actually found the developers I have communicated with
very willing to help - but of course I did not start by calling them morons!

I was probably wrong to use the word "arrogant" -
but I was dissapointed that there seemed to be no response
from the developers to the fairly numerous calls for LILO to be available
as a choice when installing Fedora.
I assume it is still a choice when compiling and installing a kernel -
I mean LILO will be updated if one is using that.

> > Incidentally, the interactive option in grub, which you praise,
> > could be greatly improved;
>
>   Possibly, but keep in mind that this has to fit in a pretty small
> amount of memory, if I'm not mistaken.  There's only so much that can be
> added due to space constraints.  At least grub HAS a command line.

As I said, I use grub all the time, and have been saved more than once
by the grub command line option.
(In my experience grub is likely to get confused
if one has IDE and SCSI disks.)

I guess the real weakness of grub is its lack of good documentatiion -
LILO certainly wins hands down on that score.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366