updatedb disabled?

Miloslav Trmac mitr at volny.cz
Sat Apr 16 20:03:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 03:28:50PM -0400, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> I'd feel more comfortable with turning locate off by default if there
> was a desktop oriented search facility available to transition people
> into using.
Like gnome-search-tool?  Or something with its own, "smart" index?
(Personally I prefer waiting for (find) to complete to receiving
yesterday's results...)

> warning: locate: warning: database /var/lib/slocate/slocate.db' is
> more than 8 days old
>
> It might be useful to update that message to ask the user to check the
> conf file and make sure updating is turned on. Should I file this
> suggestion?
Not necessary, an updated slocate is already building :)  Thanks for the
suggestion.

(But this is an exception, please file stuff like this in bugzilla.
I just happened to be finished with my previous work.)

> > If slocate had to be manually selected for installation, it makes sense
> > to enable it by default... but installing the package is a more complicated
> > action than enabling updatedb if it is already installed.
> Debatable.... is there a sane ui way to include this as a checkbox to
> enable as part of firstboot?
I don't think so, but maybe somebody other can find a way.
	Mirek