Forwarding roots mail

Tom linxt at comcast.net
Mon Apr 18 19:17:39 UTC 2005

On Monday 18 April 2005 06:54, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Mo, den 18.04.2005 schrieb Joe um 12:39:
> > I did this just by creating .forward in /root and adding the following:
> >
> > joe at bean (bean is the home ocmputers names)
> >
> > Hope this helps.
>
> It will help not.
>
> > Joe
> >
> > > Here is the message I'm receiving:
> > >
> > > Returned mail: see transcript for details
> > >  Date: 04-17-2005 0429
> > >  From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON at localhost.home>
> > >  To: root at localhost.home
> > >
> > > The original message was received at Sun, 17 Apr 2005 04:29:32 -0700
> > > from root at localhost
> > >
> > >  ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> > > root
> > >  (reason: 553 5.5.4 <root at localhost.home>... Real domain name required
> > > for sender address)
> > >  (expanded from: root)
>
> The DSN the recipient MTA gives is pretty clear. It does not accept
> unresolvable domain names - which is fine.
>
> Alexander

Hi Alexander:

So how do I get the name to resolve now?  Between /etc/resolve.conf
and /etc/hosts I would think that would not be a problem.

>>> /etc/resolve.conf <<<
search home
nameserver 204.127.198.4
nameserver 63.240.76.4
nameserver 12.242.16.50

>>>/etc/hosts <<<
192.168.0.10	linux.home	linux
127.0.0.1	linux2	localhost.localdomain	localhost
192.168.0.20	dos.home	dos
192.168.0.30	win2k.home	win2k
192.168.0.40	betty.home	betty
192.168.0.50	laptop.home	laptop
192.168.0.100	test.home	test
192.168.0.15	linux2.home	linux2

I had some questions in my original post that your comment above don't answer.
What is it in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc that needs to be changed?

Sorry if I seem dense.  Getting older and beginning to have dementia problems
is my only excuse.  Thanks for your help, both for myself and others on this
list.

Thanks, Tom
--
Tom Taylor