Forwarding roots mail

Ken Nordquist ken at geekystuff.net
Mon Apr 18 21:47:34 UTC 2005

Tom wrote:

>On Monday 18 April 2005 06:54, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>

>>Am Mo, den 18.04.2005 schrieb Joe um 12:39:
>>

>>>I did this just by creating .forward in /root and adding the following:
>>>
>>>joe at bean (bean is the home ocmputers names)
>>>
>>>Hope this helps.
>>>

>>It will help not.
>>

>>>Joe

>>The DSN the recipient MTA gives is pretty clear. It does not accept
>>unresolvable domain names - which is fine.
>>
>>Alexander
>>

>Hi Alexander:
>
>So how do I get the name to resolve now?  Between /etc/resolve.conf
>and /etc/hosts I would think that would not be a problem.

>search home
>nameserver 204.127.198.4
>nameserver 63.240.76.4
>nameserver 12.242.16.50

>192.168.0.10	linux.home	linux
>127.0.0.1	linux2	localhost.localdomain	localhost
>192.168.0.20	dos.home	dos
>192.168.0.30	win2k.home	win2k
>192.168.0.40	betty.home	betty
>192.168.0.50	laptop.home	laptop
>192.168.0.100	test.home	test
>192.168.0.15	linux2.home	linux2
>
>I had some questions in my original post that your comment above don't answer.
>What is it in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc that needs to be changed?
>
>Sorry if I seem dense.  Getting older and beginning to have dementia problems
>is my only excuse.  Thanks for your help, both for myself and others on this
>list.
>
>Thanks, Tom

Tom,

First, 'ping localhost.home', if ping does not receive any replies do
the following:

In your /etc/hosts file, add 'localhost.home' to the line for 127.0.0.1
so it looks like this:

127.0.0.1    linux2    localhost.localdomain    localhost    localhost.home

There is no need for any big Sendmail tweaks since your local machine is
just trying (unsuccessfully) to deliver to itself.

Regards,

Ken