rawhide report: 20050420 changes

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Thu Apr 21 00:57:58 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-20 at 12:18 -0400, Ken Nordquist wrote:
> I received this message when installing
> kernel-devel-2.6.11-1.1251_FC4.x86_64:
>
> Failed to mmap
> /usr/src/kernels/2.6.11-1.1251_FC4-x86_64/./include/config/MARKER
> Failed to mmap ./include/config/MARKER
>
> On reboot, I saw two errors for udev, but they went by so quickly I
> cannot tell you more.  After logging in to my user account, I found I
> could not "see" past my NIC.  I could not ping anything which needed
> name resolution - unfortunately I was not smart enough to try to ping an
> ip address.  Running ifconfig showed nothing unusual and the boot log
> did not reveal the udev error I saw upon boot.  I subsequently
> uninstalled the 1251 kernel and all is well again.

Yeah, I saw the same thing too except my desktop seems to be working
fine (so far so go and I've pulled email from pop and imap and can
browse the web.  Also NFS works).

I've had a look through dmesg but can't see anything specific about this
udev failure in there (it happens really early (before the umount
of /proc and /sys(???))).

I've been seeing these "Failed to mmap ...." errors installing with yum
for a while now, but they don't seem to be affecting anything.  Yeah, I
know I should have reported them earlier, but I figured they were so
obvious that the should have been noticed.  Next time I see them I'll
file a bug report unless someone mentions something to indicate that
it's a known issue.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure that these issues
are related to your network problems as it works for me.

Rodd

--
>From the pain come the dream
>From the dream come the vision