FC4-t2 & Dell i6000: VESA only video and no sound

Paul Dickson paul at permanentmail.com
Thu Apr 21 14:34:08 UTC 2005

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:30:55 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> > I'm using FC4-test2 on my week-old Inspiron 6000 notebook.  So far I can
> > only use a 1024x768 VESA display on my 1280x800 i915 hardware.
>
> If it's a 915GM try this driver:
>
> ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/8211/eng/
>
> The driver is not in FC4 yet (as afaik it won't be in it). Note, the
> driver contains a tar.gz that is extracted and installed during %pre ;
> Not very nice... Install kernel-devel before installing the intel rpm.

Thanks, works very well.

The rpm would not allow installing while running xorg, so after switching
to vt1 and doing an init 3, the install of the rpm compiled and installed
the modules (after some ominous warning message).  It suggested rebooting
to get rid of the old modules.

After rebooting xorg ran much faster.  I had to grab an xorg.conf from
one of the Inspiron 6000 user sites and make changes for Fedora (like
where the mouse device was and how to reach the font server).  If anyone
wants it, I can send it.

The only problem, and it's very minor, rhgb no longer works.  It blanks
the screen as though it's starting but then returns to vt1.  I wouldn't
be concern about this except for when I showoff the system.

Thanks again for the help.

	-Paul