X Virtual Terminals/Consoles are blank, unusable

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Apr 22 02:55:54 UTC 2005

John Austin wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-04-21 at 13:44 -0400, Matt Galvin wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>When cycling through the virtual terminals/consoles of
>>X(CTR+ALT+F[1-7]) I see that they are all blank screens and I cannot
>>use them at all. con7 displays the desktop (gnome in my case) as
>>expected but con1 - con6 are completly blacked out/blank and I am
>>unable to use them for anything.
>>
>>Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? Can anyone confirm?
>>
>>My machine has an on-board Intel 865 video card/chip and I am using an
>>Acer AL1714 LCD display.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Matt

Using the Intel 815 chip, I get the information displayed in the
terminal. It displays a blue border around the edges of the screen once
X was launched and I switch to a terminal. The abnormalities other than
the border is that the text in the terminal starts at the right portion
of the screen (about a tenth of a character), then the rest of the
information is dispayed on the next line. I didn't notice before that
the character line started so close to the right edge and then continue
starting on the left after the blue border surrounding the display.

I'm guesing some monitors fail to sync when the information starts so
far left and leave the terminal blank. Others display a border of
differing colors (R,G or B). Some see text and some see only a border.

I have a computer with an 865G card but dare not run FC test on it. This
problem hopefully only concerns the server and not the driver used for
the display.

I don't see this problem yet on the 865. I hope that the cause is
dicovered soon and corrected.

Jim