cpu-freq-applet

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sat Apr 23 03:43:41 UTC 2005

Sean Bruno wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 07:05 -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Sean Bruno wrote:
>>
>>>I have been noticing that my D800 laptop has been running hot(temp)
>>>since I installed FC4.
>>>
>>>Investigating a bit, I noted that I was pretty much always running at a
>>>load of about 1.  The cpu-freq applet seems to take a quite a bit of
>>>horse power.  This was confirmed when I shut it off and my box cooled
>>>off quite a bit.
>

>>My computer always comes up at full frequency. I let it load programs
>>initially and when things that I use are up, I change the frequency via
>>the applet to 662 MHz vs. the max of 1.52 GHz.
>>
>>If you left click (or tap) the mouse around the applet, you can select a
>>lower frequency from the applet choices.
>>
>>I would not guess it is the applet, but something determining the best
>>frequency for the computer load.
>>
>>Jim
>>

> My laptop seems to scale correctly, that is to say it bumps the
> frequency accordingly when the load goes up or down.  The issue I am
> seeing is that the applet itself seems to eat up quite a bit more
> horsepower that I would expect.
>
> When my box comes up, it runs at a load of 1 with the cpu-freq applet
> running.  If I deactivate it, the load goes down to almost nothing.
>
> Is this what you are seeing?  Can you check out my findings?
>
> Sean

I'll remove the applet from the panel to see if this effects the cpu
frequency. I am on a desktop currently and not the laptop. This
comparison I'll do tomorrow.

For the normal operation of the laptop, I start in runlevel 3. The fan
does not run while I am in the terminal. The fan does seem to engage
once I startx. The applet displays max frequency. I need to manually
select a lower frequency or the laptop gets on the hot side. I do not
see scaling. I used to see scaling depending on the load.

I'll check the cpufrequency before starting the GUI and pass on the
results. I run acpi and it has worked properly from the Severn test
days. With the hit for speeding up everything, I assumed this was an
intended change to maximize everything.

JIm

--
You will not be elected to public office this year.