Random Reboots after last Kernel Update

Ken Nordquist ken at geekystuff.net
Mon Apr 25 12:41:39 UTC 2005

Every kernel after 1240 gives me the udev error mentioned in other posts
(at boot).  I have noticed other differences in the post-1240 kernel
(for x86_64).  First, Yahoo! chat rooms are set up to have 50 people in
there.  After starting Gaim and going into my favorite geek room, I
noticed that the number kept rising...  so that while there were about
35 actually in the room (I asked one of the other people in the room),
the number on Gaim was showing 60+.  I rolled the kernel back to 1240
last night, put myself in a chat room and went to bed, now that I am up,
the correct number is still showing on Gaim.

Also, the higher the kernel number, the higher the odds that Firefox
will hog CPU time and eventually freeze my computer.  The higher the
kernel number, the less stable Jedit becomes (java-based IDE) - it will
not even start with kernel 1261(segmentation faults...  even when
starting the program as root).  Also, with the last kernel, Thunderbird
does not recognize any settings...  while it does send and retrieve
mail, I cannot make any changes to my accounts, etc...

Is anyone else using x86_64 experiencing problems like this?

Regards,

Ken Nordquist