backward compatibility problem with grub

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 17:32:30 UTC 2005

On 4/25/05, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh at mimosa.com> wrote:
> It turns out that the latest version of the grub SRPM will not build
> on FC3.  This seems very unfortunate.  I would consider it a bug.  Is
> this known?  Intended?  A good thing?

This is quite easy to resolve.. edit the grub.spec file to remove
-Wno-pointer-sign
and it will rebuild on fc3 using the compiler tools in fc3.  Right now
when compiling for gcc4 this warning needs to be supressed to get grub
to build. Since gcc4 is now the default compiler in rawhide, the
rawhide grub has that option turned on.  I don't think its
unreasonable to have to edit a spec file on occasion to get something
to recompile, especially when we are talking about jumping a compiler
toolchain version.

-jef