x86_64 - can't run i386 binaries any longer

James C. Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Thu Apr 28 00:50:47 UTC 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Jones" <davej at redhat.com>
To: "For testers of Fedora Core development releases"
<fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:13 PM
Subject: Re: x86_64 - can't run i386 binaries any longer

> On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 02:03:29PM -0700, Jeff Sheltren wrote:
> > I am currently unable to run i386 packages on FC4 x86_64.  I believe
> > this is
> > a new occurrence after doing an update to the latest devel packages this
> > morning (I'll be glad to give the full list, but it was 150+ packages).
> >
> > Now when I try to run i386 binaries, they segfault.  Even trying to run
> > 'ldd' on an i386 binary segfaults...
>
> Can you give the latest build at
> http://people.redhat.com/davej/kernels/Fedora/FC4/RPMS.kernel/
> a try ? There was an important fix yesterday, and another today that just
> missed the rawhide-push.
>
> Dave

Dave

I tried the 1275 kernel because I could not boot up the 1268 kernel.  It
would hang
trying to start /etc/init.d/rdisc (router daemon).  I could not shut down
either, I had
to do a reset.  The 1275 kernel did the same thing.  I rebooted to single
user mode.
so I could edit the /etc/init.d/rdisc script to do an 'exit 1' at the
beginning.
This is an x86_64 system with K8V-SE deluxe mb.  This allowed Fedora to
boot up.  I no longer get the udev abort on bootup either.  I can also mount
an smb filesystem now without aborting.

The only thing broke is trying to rebuild vmware.  /usr/bin/ldd aborts at
line 116 with a seq fault when I try running vmware-config.pl.

Otherwise, the kernel is getting better.

Jim