Multiple boot errors

Donald Casey dcasey at the-caseys.com
Thu Apr 28 04:50:07 UTC 2005

[mailto:fedora-test-list->bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of William
>Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 11:35 AM
>To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>Subject: Multiple boot errors
>
>After the update yesterday around 3pm, I can not log into Linux. Here is
the >situation.

>1) During bootup it loads audit
>2) While loading volumes it gives the error message "/sbin/undevstart
exited >abnormally (PID 386)"   and "/sbin/undevstart exited abnormally (PID
401)"
>3) Then it gives me two screen full of similar error messages:
>"audit (1114593678.830)  avc : denied forname=XXX dev=proc ino=XXX
scontext"
>4) When it gets to loading eth0, it gives this error message:
>"cannot remove /etc/resolv.conf predhclient permission denied" followed by
clvmd >failed
>5) When it gets to the login screen it says default them is not available
and uses >the one with the flower
>6) Login box has three dots in it and will not focus. I can not type
anything into >the login box.

>I am running a Dell Inspiron 1150 with a Pentium 4 Celeron 2.6ghz, 512mb
ram,  and >Intel 852 graphics with a BroadCom 440x 10/100 Network
Controller. I have tried all >previous Kernels with same results.

>Jerim

I have found similar results see my e-mail Kernel or Grub.

 You have a couple of thing going on though:

1. Your audit ... avc messages are coming from SELinux and wrong permissions
on files. You will probably just need to run "fixfiles relabel" to
straighten everything out at once.
2. etc/resolv.conf is where your DNS servers are listed and probably handed
out by DHCP unless you set up your DNS as static. If it is DHCP then again
it is a permissions issue but not with SELinux.
3. clvmd is a separate service that is not starting up, and will not affect
the system
4. The problem with the login screen is someone decided to remove the
"Default" so you need to start your machine with init 3 and change this to
"Blue Curve" or some other.

Thanx,
Don