formatting your hard drive for testing

Robin Green greenrd at presidium.org
Thu Apr 28 10:33:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005, Kenneth Geddings Jr. wrote:

> i want to set up my hard drive to have three partitions one is the windows xp
> home partition, one will be my main Linux partition (for fedora core ) and
> the other will be a testing ground partition so i can test out latest fedora
> core tests and or try out other Linux distributions with it. i am going to
> use the mandrake installer to format and resize my hardrive

Wow, does it support resizing NTFS partitions? I hope the fedora installer
supports that in future.

> but what should i
> set the two Linux partitions as what file system?

Doesn't really matter. You can always change it when you come to install
fedora.

Ext3 is the only officially supported filesystem in fedora, but in
my experience reiserfs is more dependable (let's not start a flamewar
please! ;)

However you should not choose vfat as it's not possible to install linux
on vfat. vfat is for access to windows 98 partitions, usb storage devices,
etc.

> and will it be easy to
> delete and overwrite a Linux partition that i will use for testing?

Yes.
--
Robin