Prelink and maxing out CPU usage and increasing freq of CPU

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Fri Apr 29 02:01:02 UTC 2005

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 07:24:58PM -0400, Jim Cornette wrote:
>
>>Whenever prelink-0.3.4-3 starts, it uses close to 100 % CPU. This usage
>>causes the frequency of my laptop to max out and the laptop to get 20 to
>>30 C hotter than under normal conditions.
>>
>>Is there a way to keep processes from getting this high of CPU usage?
>

> What else do you expect to occur ?

I expected prelink to run at a steady percentage of CPU instead of up
and down causing the CPU to max out, fan to go into high speed and the
temperature to rise to 80 to 90C. I'd rather it run slower.

> You could use the cpuspeed interfaces to limit the top speed of your
> cpu below the maximum. It'll still be 100% of CPU but it'll be
> slower

Trying info or man for cpuspeed showed nothing. Running cpuspeed --help
showed a few commands. I was not sure how to set the max temp before the
processor slows down again. I got the -t and temperature integer part,
but was lost as to what temp file to add as a parameter.

Having the ability to set your desired max temperature under Desktop -->
preferences --> cpuspeed would be a nice feature to add IMO.

Adding a feature to control the CPU percentage that a program could grab
would also be a decent feature.

Thanks for the pointers/comments. I'll see what I can come up with to
enable my preferences.

Jim

--
New Hampshire law forbids you to tap your feet, nod your head, or in
any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or cafe.