Stealthing Ports in system-config-securitylevel was: SSH brute force attack

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Fri Apr 29 07:30:45 UTC 2005

Roger Grosswiler wrote:

> But i can tell you in a bit a philosophical way, that the firewall
> should be done for newbs - they connect to the internet, no firewall
> (i still see this now...) and they often never remark, that their
> computer is captured.

you mean here linux machines ?

> And who has to resolve it??? Not themselves, as it is easier to
> install a simple firewall than removing trojans, worms and alle the
> rest of this *#%& - they trust on tools and experts and experts
> writing those tools :-)
>
> I deleted on a friends machine 7 trojans and 3 dialers, nevermind
> where he was surfing :-)

i assume he had no on-access scanner.

was this a linux machine
or a windowzer behind an older linux-pc with a firewall or
squid/danguardian ?
see eg $ vi /usr/share/doc/rp-pppoe-*/configs/firewall-*

> At least, i just installed him zonealarm (yes, his a windozer...),

zonealarm for linux ? no thanks, i prefer iptables.

> closed everything and explained him, how to handle that part, if a
> windows comes up and tries accessing to internet. Since then, he was
> clean.

OT:
hahaha :-)
if you close all eg. "generic host bla" he will run in trouble.
i have seen zonealarms allowed everything because the "newbies" allow
after a short time all applications.
result: i have a firewall, why do i have trojans/worms/etc ?

--
shrek-m