FC3 packages left over after upgrade to FC4

Patrick fedora at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Fri Apr 29 17:32:21 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-29 at 10:33 -0600, Anne & Lynn Wheeler wrote:
> i've been having all sorts of sporadic problems where yum won't install
> new updates ... because of supposed dependencies. I wondered if that has
> contributed to my problem with ACPI all of a sudden generating tens of
> megabytes of syslog entries about my laptop screen.
>
> A "yum list" of all installed packages turned up about 100 packages that
> appear to be left over from FC3 ... and hadn't been deleted in the FC4
> upgrade (there were 100 packages that had both an earlier version and a
> later version). Manually going thru all 100 and deleting the earlier
> version seems to have eliminated various YUM error messages about not
> being able to apply various packages (because of conflicting
> dependencies) ... but that still hasn't stopped the ACPI syslog message
> flood on my laptop machine.

I think you need to turn off GPG signature checking to prevent some
update issues. A quick search on google for "upgrade FC3 to FC4" gave an
interesting link which basically said that it is possible to mess up:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-February/msg01355.html
Given the mixed results I'd recommend a clean install of FC4Tx/FC4 over
an upgrade from FC3 to FC4Tx/FC4.

Regards,
Patrick