Multiple boot errors

William wyount at watervalley.net
Fri Apr 29 19:49:18 UTC 2005

From: fedora-test-list-bounces at redhat.com

[mailto:fedora-test-list->bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of William

>>Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 11:35 AM
>>To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
>>Subject: Multiple boot errors
>>
>>After the update yesterday around 3pm, I can not log into Linux. Here is the situation.
>>1) During bootup it loads audit
>>2) While loading volumes it gives the error message "/sbin/undevstart
>>exited >abnormally (PID 386)"   and "/sbin/undevstart exited abnormally (PID
>401)"
>>3) Then it gives me two screen full of similar error messages:
>>"audit (1114593678.830)  avc : denied forname=XXX dev=proc ino=XXX
>>scontext"
>>4) When it gets to loading eth0, it gives this error message:
>>"cannot remove /etc/resolv.conf predhclient permission denied" followed by
>>clvmd >failed
>>5) When it gets to the login screen it says default them is not available
>>and uses >the one with the flower
>>6) Login box has three dots in it and will not focus. I can not type
>>anything into >the login box.
>>I am running a Dell Inspiron 1150 with a Pentium 4 Celeron 2.6ghz, 512mb
>>ram,  and >Intel 852 graphics with a BroadCom 440x 10/100 Network
>Controller. I have tried all >previous Kernels with same results.
>

>>Jerim
>

>>I have found similar results see my e-mail Kernel or Grub.

>> You have a couple of thing going on though:

>>1. Your audit ... avc messages are coming from SELinux and wrong permissions
>>on files. You will probably just need to run "fixfiles relabel" to
>>straighten everything out at once.
>>2. etc/resolv.conf is where your DNS servers are listed and probably handed
>>out by DHCP unless you set up your DNS as static. If it is DHCP then again
>>it is a permissions issue but not with SELinux.
>>3. clvmd is a separate service that is not starting up, and will not affect
>>the system
>>4. The problem with the login screen is someone decided to remove the
>>"Default" so you need to start your machine with init 3 and change this to
>>"Blue Curve" or some other.

>>Thanx,
>>Don

Following your suggestions, I used "fixfiles relabel" to fix most of the problems. I didn't understand where to use init3 so I created the directory it was looking for(usr/share/gdm/themes/Default) and copied one of the themes over into it. It has been working perfectly ever since. Thanks for the help.

William