FC4t1 - gnome-volume-manager uses 100% CPU if automounting an SD/MMC/CF card in USB card reader

Msquared sub1.fedoralist at msquared.id.au
Fri Apr 1 16:20:13 UTC 2005

I have an Apacer MegaSteno USB 2.0 7-in-1 card reader.  One of the neat
things about this is that it claims to support Linux.  It tells you what
minimum kernel version you need, and how to modify the kernel config to
allow the kernel to see all three slots on it.

The device worked well under FC1.

While testing FC4t1, I have also discovered the joy of autodetection of
USB drives, USB card readers, and cards plugged into USB card readers,
plus the automounting of all of the above.  Awesome!

I have discovered one problem, though.  Although automounting of USB
drives works well, inserting a MMC, SD, or CF card into the abovementioned
card reader automounts the first time, but not on subsequent insertions.
I also discovered that after this occurs, nothing else will automount,
either.

When I insert an MMC, SD, or CF card into the reader, gnome-volume-manager
starts using up 100% CPU, so I have to kill it.  If I re-run it from the
commandline, automounting starts working again (for other devices) until I
insert an MMC, SD, or CF card again.

If I remove the card reader, insert the card into the card reader, then
plug it back into the USB port, the behaviour is the same.

Regards, Msquared...