FC4t1 - gnome-volume-manager uses 100% CPU if automounting an SD/MMC/CF card in USB card reader

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 19:00:40 UTC 2005

On Apr 1, 2005 1:39 PM, Msquared <sub1.fedoralist at msquared.id.au> wrote:
> That is indeed the case.

Well it definitely sounds like a gnome-volume-manager specific problem.
I don't have any of these multicard reader object so I'm probably not
going to be much help to you beyond this point.  Probably worth filing
with as much specific information as possible.. especially since
everything seems to work except when automounting is active. Make sure
you note in the report the problem only occurs when automount is
active, so far I havent seen any bugzilla ticket that actually narrows
down the problem to just the automounting active case.  This could be
a dbus/gnome-volume-manager  interaction problem. I'm not sure how to
go about diagnosing that, there is probably someone to get the
messagebus service to emit copious logs for you to capture and
attach.. but i don't know how to do it yet.

you can try updating dbus, reboot just to make sure all the services
are restarted and see if you can reproduce the problem. Latest rawhide
dbus is dbus-0.31-4, but I'm not seeing anything in the package
changelog that would suggest -4 has a fixed applied for anything
compared to -2 so i dont think this is going to be fix.

Whether the situation is a 'mount removable drives' versus 'mount
removable media when inserted'  is probably worth filing as a seperate
issue and worth discussion with the developer of gnome-volume-manager
or hal.  I THINK g-v-m just gets told whether its a removable media
versus a removable drive and tries to act accordingly. I think hal is
actually the software that tries to make the distinction and then
communicates that distinction via dbus to g-v-m... i could be totally
wrong about that. If its unitutive however its still worth bringing up
as a bugzilla ticket even if the developers end up disagreeing with
you.

-jef