Is it possible to make Fedora load faster?

Ziga Mahkovec ziga.mahkovec at klika.si
Sun Apr 3 14:24:09 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-02 at 15:15 -0800, luya at jpopmail.com wrote:
> this is a question I receive froom some Fedora Core 3 users. After
> they have tried Ubuntu, they complained about the 'slow speed' of
> Fedora. Their major complain are the number of seriveces enabled by
> default event though they choose to do desktop installation. Another
> complain I heard are the memory on which they use Ubuntu (once again)
> to be efficient. How should I respend on that kind of question?

As far as boot times go, there was a long discussion[1] on the devel-
list, which also resulted in a tool[2] for boot process analysis.
Later, David Zeuthen also posted a very detailed analysis[3], with many
ideas for improvements.

Unfortunately, it seems that these improvements didn't make it into FC4.
But going through these resources, you should at least be able to do
some tweaking on your own.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-November/msg00447.html
[2] http://www.bootchart.org/
[3] http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2004-November/msg01374.html