Is it possible to make Fedora load faster?

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 15:41:26 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 11:56 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> I believe fcron - as a single app replacement for cron and anacron -
> allows you to specify what scheduled tasks should be rerun if scheduled
> when the machine was down. That would be nice. I suppose it could be
> done by modifying the updatedb cron script to just exit if its after 5
> AM but before 3 AM or something ...

I don't think that either of these really fixes anything, does they?

I mean, if this is a common problem on a box, it's because the machine
is *never* up at 4:03am.  So these accomplish exactly the same thing as
removing updatedb from the cron.daily completely, or just turning
anacron off.

It's too bad there's not a way to update the slocate database
asynchronously when changes occur, instead of this horrible batch job
that everybody hates.

--
        Peter