Unable to install macromedia flash player on x86_64 arch

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 21:13:39 UTC 2005

On Apr 4, 2005 4:50 PM, Kyrre Ness Sjobak <kyrre at solution-forge.net> wrote:
> Yes, but still... It isn't much use to get the users (who often wants to
> use the distro as a platform) into unnecessary trouble - at least as
> long as there isn't any real benefit of running Firefox in 64 bit
> mode...
Shall we take your logic to its absurd conclusion.

If there are no 64bit browsers in use... there will never be enough
demand for macromedia to release a 64bit flash program .. if there is
no 64bit flash program there will be no demand for 64bit browsers...if
there is no 64bit browsers in use..
on and on we go. Its a chicken and egg problem.  As long as users are
too chicken, macromedia gets to keep its precious proprietary egg.

> Which would scare (new) users into thinking "Linux isn't userfriendly",
> choose not to learn it (scared of at early stage), tell others this, and
> choose non-Linux solutions over Linux ones - which may in turn be bad
> for future RH revenue.

Right...choosing non-linux 64bit solutions over 64bit linux. Remind me
again... what are the 64bit non-linux solutions for PC hardware right
now? Isn't windows 64bit xp still in some sort of beta phase?
New users.. running amd 64bit hardware (thats what we are talking
about really arent we).. can just as easily choose 32bit fedora core..
and avoid this sort of crap completely.  Or.. they can wait till MS
64bit XP lands and macromedia finally feels significant market
pressure to get off their asses and build a 64bit versions of their
plugins.  In the meantime we can all hope and pray that svg magically
matures and someone crafts professional development tools for it to
challenge macromedia in the marketplace and we a no longer held
hostage by macromedia to get our required dosage of pointless
interactive web experience.

-jef"well okay... its not all totally pointless.. strong bad emails
are a crucially informative source of world news"spaleta