New xfs (X font server) initscript for testing. Should work in all Fedora Core OS releases, as well as RHL 8 and RHEL3 and newer. Please test!

Bret Hughes bhughes at elevating.com
Tue Apr 5 03:48:38 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 21:40, Bret Hughes wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 18:07, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> > > I'd like to hear both BAD *and* GOOD feedback from whoever
> > > tests this, so if you test it and do not notice anything
> > > different, please respond to let me know that also.
> > > If you notice any regressions with this initscript
> > > compared to the previous one you were using, please
> > > respond with full details of the problem, and exact
> > > error messages you see (if any).  Also indicate if
> > > you are using only stock OS supplied fonts, or fonts
> > > you have added yourself.  It'd be particularly good
> > > to hear feedback from people using lots of 3rd party
> > > fonts, as we do not normally have such fonts for
> > > testing purposes internally.
> >
> > On FC3 i386 (stock fonts, stock everything.)
> >
> > # ./xfs restart
> > Restarting xfs:
> > Shutting down xfs:                                         [  OK  ]
> > Starting xfs: ./xfs: line 56: [: missing `]'
> >                                                            [  OK  ]
> >

> Huh me too.  first glance I can't see what the deal is.  I simply did
> wget url and moved it.  Of course I also had to make it executable.
>
> here is the orig line 56:
>
>    [ -x "$FC_CACHE" ] HOME=/ "$FC_CACHE" $d
>
> here is one with the change I made to get it to work (added &&)
>
>    [ -x "$FC_CACHE" ] && HOME=/ "$FC_CACHE" $d
>
> Is there some environment var. that is letting this work on some boxes
> and not others?
>
> FYI this is on a ppc box although I can't see why that would make a
> difference.
>
> Bret
> [root at localhost init.d]# cp ~/xfs ./xfs
cp: overwrite `./xfs'? y
[root at localhost init.d]# time service xfs restart
Restarting xfs:
Shutting down xfs:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting xfs:                                              [  OK  ]

real	0m0.576s
user	0m0.043s
sys	0m0.098s
[root at localhost init.d]# cp ~/xfs.init ./xfs
cp: overwrite `./xfs'? y
[root at localhost init.d]# time service xfs restart
Restarting xfs:
Shutting down xfs:                                         [  OK  ]
Starting xfs:                                              [  OK  ]

real	0m1.365s
user	0m0.043s
sys	0m0.057s

Much slower in realtime on my box.   This is repeatable with between .5
to a full second wall time but with less system time accumulated. Go
figure.  This is not a standard login If that makes a difference.  I
have x running with no window manager via inittab and playing 30 second
video files.

Bret