New xfs (X font server) initscript for testing. Should work in all Fedora Core OS releases, as well as RHL 8 and RHEL3 and newer. Please test!

Mike A. Harris mharris at www.linux.org.uk
Tue Apr 5 05:36:09 UTC 2005

Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-04 at 16:07 -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
>

>>On FC3 i386 (stock fonts, stock everything.)
>>
>># ./xfs restart
>>Restarting xfs:
>>Shutting down xfs:                                         [  OK  ]
>>Starting xfs: ./xfs: line 56: [: missing `]'
>

> I didn't have that problem above, nor any problems so far :)
>
> Saw a .02 'Ish second increase in start up.

The very first invocation I expect will take slightly longer for xfs
to start up, as we're running fc-cache always now, and in all
font dirs every time.  Once fc-cache runs once though, which took
about 4 seconds the first time for me, subsequent restarts of
the initscript were instantaneous.  The reason it takes longer the
very first time, is because fc-cache was not previously ran in all
configured fontconfig font directories, so most of them did not
have updated fc-cache generated fonts.cache* files in them.  The
first invocation creates the fc-cache files, and after that they
don't need to get regenerated anymore until fonts are added or
removed, so fc-cache is instantaneous.

Try running this 5 times:

/usr/bin/time service xfs restart

If it is on a system where you're using the new init script for the
first time, the first run will be slightly longer, and the rest should
be instantaneous.  I get:

Starting xfs:                                              [  OK  ]
0.09user 0.12system 0:00.37elapsed 56%CPU (0avgtext+0avgdata 0maxresident)k

0.37 seconds.  Not bad.  ;)