XMMS (was: Re: rawhide report: 20050405 changes)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 15:51:58 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 11:29 AM, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:
> Hard work may one day make Extras a useful resource but right now - with
> no coordination, delayed builds and no QA - Extras packages are fourth
> class citizens which only a marketing suit would claim to be part of
> Fedora.

I take it from this post you are volunteering to be a part of the
Extras QA team?
Great! I look forward to seeing your contributions to package review
discussions being held in the fedora-extras-list every day and to you
reading your bug reports about Extras packages that make it through
the current process that are malformed.  I think its a stretch to
claim there is no coordination, especially if you aren't actively
involved in the Extras specific discussions going on.

Among people actively participating in the Extras process, opinions
differ as how QA is to be handled. I personally think ideally there
should be more QA than there is right now. But I also realize that
there are tradeoffs.. without a significant committment of manhours to
the task of QA, the overall process can be stagnated if procedural QA
hurtles are put in place that are out of proportion to the available
community manpower for the task of QA.  In the final analysis the
importance of package QA in the Extras process is going to be directly
related to the amount of time people are willing to devote to the task
over the long haul. If you personally want to see QA be a higher
importance.. start getting invovled in the Extras process now by
participating in the fedora-extras-list package review discussions.

-jef"un-coordinated"spaleta