XMMS (was: Re: rawhide report: 20050405 changes)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 19:02:08 UTC 2005

On Apr 5, 2005 2:34 PM, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:
> Why is one person, no matter how competent and dedicated, doing all of
> that?

Because most of the 'community' are content to sit back and complain
without offering to lift a finger?  Seth is an example of someone who
complained of the slow progress Red Hat was making and volunteered to
take on some of the responsibility and burden with the resources he
had available to him.  If more people out in the community who cared
as strongly has he did started to actually pitched in effort things
would be further along and everyone would be happier.
The current state of affairs, while not ideal, is a farsight better
than would you would have if there wasn't anyone from outside the
RedHat fenceline pushing things forward to provide packages to users.

> Where the hell is Redhat?  Why aren't they providing adequate
> resources for the people developing RHEL for them for free?

Last I heard Red Hat is still working on infrastructure peices for the
final buildsystem and contributor facing systems.  The cvs server for
extras was provided by Red Hat, which allowed for the current
buildprocess that seth is coordinating. Either we can wait for all the
pieces to be in place for the final RedHat managed build system to be
handed down fully formed.. or we make use of each piece as it becomes
available via community effort to build a transitional process.  If
you don't like the incremental, transitional approach and would prefer
to wait.. please by all means.. wait. Wait for the perfect buildsystem
and the perfect process to produce the perfect packages.

-jef