Unable to install macromedia flash player on x86_64 arch

Pedro Fernandes Macedo webmaster at margo.bijoux.nom.br
Tue Apr 5 22:34:48 UTC 2005

Jeff Spaleta wrote:

>>Which would scare (new) users into thinking "Linux isn't userfriendly",
>>choose not to learn it (scared of at early stage), tell others this, and
>>choose non-Linux solutions over Linux ones - which may in turn be bad
>>for future RH revenue.
>>

>Right...choosing non-linux 64bit solutions over 64bit linux. Remind me
>again... what are the 64bit non-linux solutions for PC hardware right
>now? Isn't windows 64bit xp still in some sort of beta phase?
>New users.. running amd 64bit hardware (thats what we are talking
>about really arent we).. can just as easily choose 32bit fedora core..
>and avoid this sort of crap completely.  Or.. they can wait till MS
>64bit XP lands and macromedia finally feels significant market
>pressure to get off their asses and build a 64bit versions of their
>plugins.  In the meantime we can all hope and pray that svg magically
>matures and someone crafts professional development tools for it to
>challenge macromedia in the marketplace and we a no longer held
>hostage by macromedia to get our required dosage of pointless
>interactive web experience.

Well , given that windows xp 64 finally reached gold status and should
be on stores soon, maybe things could change...
Or not... I dont have any numbers on the number of sales of 64 bit
processors , but given the huge amount of 32 bit processors around , I
guess we'll have to wait a little more untill x86_64 processors become
more widespread before macromedia and other vendors port their closed
source programs to 64 bits...

--
Pedro Macedo (who likes to browse the web on 64 bit without all that
annoying flash thingies ;) )