Any place to get FC4T2 a little early?

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sun Apr 10 04:57:31 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 20:27 -0400, Richard Ramson wrote:

> After all the trouble I went through to keep my PC updated with FC4T1,
> do I need to update to 2?  I hope its not a complete reinstall.  :(  I
> tried accessing some of the 3.91 directories but couldn't get in
> either.  I guess we gotta wait until the 11th.  ;)

Normally, you don't need to.

BUT.... (you knew it was coming)

Part of the purpose of all these tests is to test them.  Much of the
distro can be tested just doing update (and of course removing stuff
that's been depreciated - and then possibly nagging that the depreciated
package isn't included in extras yet).

However, you're not just testing updates, you're testing the installer
and how well a fresh install works out of the box.  Just updating can't
really replicate this (but it comes close), so if you can do a fresh
install, that's quite useful.

The easiest way to test is to keep your home folder as a seperate
partition and then run a install of the current FC on one set of
partitions, while testing on a different set (and using the same home
dir for both - of course backing up often)  This leaves you with a
working version of FC while making it easier to install Tests.

If you install grub for the current stable version in MBR and then
install the grub for the test into the test /boot partition (or whatever
partition /boot is in) you can hack up grub for the stable version to
boot grub for the test version (effectively getting grub to fire up grub
to fire up the test version).

Rodd