smbfs mounts, and disconnected (then reconnected) networks

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Sun Apr 10 15:53:46 UTC 2005

So, I tend to do:

	mount -t smbfs //myserver/share /mnt

a lot. Problem is, I do this on my laptop, and I do tend to move it
around sometimes, to places that don't involve my network. Because ACPI
sleep doesn't work on my beautiful x86 laptop, I resort to just closing
the lid, putting it in my backpack, and moving it usually, a 5-minute
drive away from my home to where I usually spend the rest of my day

Now, if I try to stat /mnt, I can an I/O error. This is mighty annoying,
so is there a timeout for "lost mounts"?

Then I come home at the end of the day, am back on my network (that
NetworkManager dutifully signs me back on), and /mnt is still
inaccessible

Note that in all these scenarious, unmounting /mnt _does not work_

I try to remount by doing:

	mount -t smbfs //myserver/share /mnt

and it obviously doesn't work. mount remount /mnt is pointless too

Any idea if this is a bug of sorts, or is there something I'm not doing
right? I mean, seamless integration would be that if my network isn't
seen anymore, unmount stuff

Though I can see problems with that, say with NFS mounted home
directories. The last time I tried that, I recall things just being left
in a hung state on screen when the nfs server disappeard. I presume this
is the same now

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my