Any place to get FC4T2 a little early?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 11 03:41:52 UTC 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, Chuck R. Anderson wrote:

> I don't see the need for a full iso set to be generated that often.
> Test releases are just "stable" points in the rawhide tree that
> happen about once a month.  I think this is often enough for full
> iso sets.

it's *not* often enough if you're talking about official test
releases, for which RH is looking for as much feedback as they can
get, and there's a serious installation flaw that prevents a
significant number of people from even getting it onto their systems.
and, typically, these installation problems are identified within
about a day of availability and are fixed almost immediately, so
there's no reason not to slap up a fixed ISO.

i realize this has no significance in the cosmic scheme of things but
i downloaded fc4t1 within hours of its availability, made it
accessible via NFS and went to put it on a test machine.  as many
people noticed, fc4t1 had a bug that affected NFS installs.

i could have screwed around, burned CDs, checked bugzilla, looked for
a workaround ... something.  but i have a lot to do so i just punted
and let it go.  i don't have time to figure out why *any* version of
FC -- test or otherwise -- can't be installed normally.  so i scrapped
it.

now here comes fc4t2.  once again, i'll be all over that, downloading
as soon as i can.  and if it fails to install again, i'll forget that
one, too.  i'm more than happy to put up with the inevitable bugs that
can be handled via regular updates.  but i'm not going to waste my
time with a release that won't even install properly.  that sort of
thing is unacceptable, even in an initial test release.

rday