Any place to get FC4T2 a little early?

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Mon Apr 11 04:12:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 11:41:52PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> it's *not* often enough if you're talking about official test
> releases, for which RH is looking for as much feedback as they can
> get, and there's a serious installation flaw that prevents a
> significant number of people from even getting it onto their systems.
> and, typically, these installation problems are identified within
> about a day of availability and are fixed almost immediately, so
> there's no reason not to slap up a fixed ISO.

What is a significant number of people?  I had no problem installing
test1.

New ISO's need to be propagated to mirrors as whole new files.  It is
already hard enough to keep rawhide in sync with all the mirrors,
nevermind new sets of complete ISO's totalling 10 gig or more.

Well, ok.  I could see a new boot.iso being built.  At least that is
only a few megs. and would allow testing the entire boot from a real
CD through to a network install.

> now here comes fc4t2.  once again, i'll be all over that, downloading
> as soon as i can.  and if it fails to install again, i'll forget that
> one, too.  i'm more than happy to put up with the inevitable bugs that
> can be handled via regular updates.  but i'm not going to waste my
> time with a release that won't even install properly.  that sort of
> thing is unacceptable, even in an initial test release.

Just install rawhide.  A test release becomes rawhide after a "yum
update" anyway.  If it fails to install, try again the next day.  And
the next.  Eventually you'll get to a day where it installs, and then
you can "yum update" from there.  If not, file a bug on the installer,
and hopefully it will be fixed in a few days and you can try again.