smbfs mounts, and disconnected (then reconnected) networks

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Mon Apr 11 14:26:54 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 16:02 +0200, Ziga Mahkovec wrote:
> > Now, if I try to stat /mnt, I can an I/O error. This is mighty
> annoying,
> > so is there a timeout for "lost mounts"?
> > [...]
>
> If that's not an NT4 server you're accessing, you could try the newer
> CIFS filesystem (mount.cifs) and see if it behaves any better.

I seemed to have forgotten to use this option ;-) I'll give it a try
next time when I have to do a remount

(server is running a possibly root-able RH8 (with custom kernel), so
I'll have to just pat my firewall :)

> > Note that in all these scenarious, unmounting /mnt _does not work_
>
> When I have these problems with stale NFS mounts, I usually resort to
> lazy unmounting (umount -l).

That's what I've been doing (I really just want to reuse /mnt :P). I
just wanted to know if there were other options and if something like
NetworkManager should be handling this

<dreams>
A cool feature to have is if I shift networks (like move from home to my
hypothetical office), what I normally have mounted in my home profile
gets mounted (say my shares for music, movies, etc...) and what I
normally have mounted in my office profile gets mounted (like the
accounts, finances, etc...) at appropriate locations based on _which_
Wifi network I got on. Works via wired too, provided you know the mac
address of the dhcp server
</dreams>

Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/