Anaconda or Grub write a wrong grub.conf for my windows partition

Peter Jones pjones at redhat.com
Tue Apr 12 18:16:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 17:07 +0200, Cimmo wrote:
> Hi,
> I've 2 hdd:
> 1st: is a SATA with one ntfs windows partition and some linux partitions
> (where FC4T2 stay)
> 2nd: is a PATA with a fat32 partition (only storage data here, no OS at all)
>
> I've done a clean FC4-T2 x86_64 install and when boot manager conf
> arrives, I've choose to install GRUB to /dev/sda MBR (yes the 1st hdd,
> the SATA one).
> All is ok and Linux boot ok.

You kind of imply it, but don't say so I'll ask -- you told anaconda
there's another OS to boot as well, right?

> When I tried to boot Windows no chance, so I've edited my /etc/grub.conf
> and seen:
> title Windows
>     rootnoverify (hd1,0)
>     chainloader +1
>
> hd1 is mapped to PATA, so I changed to (hd0,0) and all works fine.

Can you attach the /root/anaconda-ks.cfg, the /etc/grub.conf it writes
out, and /boot/grub/device.map into the bug when you file it?

> Questions:
> 1) Is an Anaconda or Grub failure?

It's likely an anaconda failure, but it could still be it or "booty" at
this point.

> 2) Is there some open bug to fill or I have to open a new one?

I don't think I've seen this as a bug, but there's always the chance we
reduce this to some bug we've seen before -- go ahead and file it, if it
turns out to be a dupe we can pick whichever report looks more useful to
keep open, and the other one will still be available.

--
        Peter