FC4t2 no good without LILO

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Tue Apr 12 18:36:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 10:21:54AM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> > Which of the 82 Grub bugs prevents it from being used for serious work?
>
> 1) That basic Bugzilla queries yield 82 Grub bugs versus 15 Lilo bugs is
> illustrative of their relative levels of reliability.

No it isn't.  Because Grub is the default, of course people are going
to file more bugs about it.  Many people probably don't even know that
Lilo exists.

> 2) The general flakiness of Grub makes it unusable for serious work.
> One simply cannot afford plane tickets (or even trouble tickets) every
> time Grub fails.  Lilo is much more reliable than Grub.  Grub may be
> appropriate for a newbie on a home PC, but Grub does not replace Lilo.

I've NEVER had a single problem with grub.

> Why is Fedora betting its farm?

That is the function of Fedora.  New technology that is risky.  If you
want old, stable technology, there is always Debian.