FC4t2 no good without LILO

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 20:42:53 UTC 2005

On Apr 12, 2005 4:05 PM, Dana Lacoste <dana.lacoste at peregrine.com> wrote:
> I'll try test2 later this week, but I've already had to stop testing my
> install of test1 because disk druid trashed my partition table (in a well
> known yet still completely stupid manner) on install.  But there's no other
> way to fdisk with the installer, so I can't install.
>
> So there's no way to install with some systems because it messes up
> the partition table.

you can't run fdisk in the provided virtual terminal on alt-ctrl-f2 or f3?
I could have sworn you had access to fdisk through the provided
virtual terminal.

> And there's no way to install with other systems cuz it won't boot after
> cuz grub just plain doesn't work.

If you are still talking about the large paritition support, Peter
summarized this issue.
The GPT partitioning scheme isnt supported yet in a number of tools
throughout the distro.. not just grub. Perhaps this needs to be
spelled out more clearly in the release-notes as a specific scenario
that is not supported yet along with a bugzilla url reference where
people can go to start helping work through the issue.

> And the Fedora team is going to fix these problems by eliminating the
> tools that do work?

If the GPT issue is inherently a fdisk/parted problem.. as Peter
summaried..those issues need to be fixed to fully support GPT. Keeping
a bootloader in the distro because it allows for partitioning
scenarios that are known to be broken at a deeper level, seems
inherently wrong to me.  Instead of fighting to see a tool go back
in.. perhaps you should be spending your time learning more about the
specific problems peter alluded too in parted/fdisk that prevent GPT
from being a supported configuration. Or spending time evaluating
another distribution that claims to support GPT configurations
already.

> Dana "Hmm, wonder if I can switch back to BSD?" Lacoste

Yes! you can! Please, use the tool that best fits your needs.
If you feel BSD works best for you right now in your situation, please use it.
If Fedora ends up working best for you at some later point, you are
free to switch back.  No one in the fedora community is going to
prevent you from doing either of those things.  You can even help test
Fedora while still using BSD, if you have the resources and feel
Fedora might be the most useful to you in the future.  Put your best
efforts where you think they will do the most good, no one will deny
you the right to make that choice. But please, when you have made your
choice, don't waste time taking cheap parting shots.. it serves no
constructive purpose. No one is going to lose sleep over your personal
choice of software distribution to use.

> PS: OpenOffice in minimal install?
Its a known problem. I'm pretty sure everyone considers this a bug..
its just a matter of discovering why it was pulled in...since it was
not explicitly asked for.

> PPS: Perhaps labelling Fedora as a "desktop-only, NO SERVER SUPPORT" OS
> would be appropriate?

How about we better define what "server" means.  A web-server versus a
fileserver versus a news server versus a mail server.. won't all
necessarily look the same in terms of installed components. No matter
what you do in terms of a default install labelled "server" you are
not going to serve any specific-purpose server type well without
inconviencing other types of server installs.  Server installs, by
their very nature... require site-specific customization by an
administrator who knows what they want in terms of functionality in a
way that a desktop does not.  A better way of going about creating
better server coverage is a collection of community
contributed/maintained kickstart files meant for tailored task based
server installs.

-jef