FC4t2 no good without LILO

Dana Lacoste dana.lacoste at peregrine.com
Tue Apr 12 21:09:28 UTC 2005

> > So there's no way to install with some systems because it messes up
> > the partition table.

> you can't run fdisk in the provided virtual terminal on alt-ctrl-f2 or f3?
> I could have sworn you had access to fdisk through the provided
> virtual terminal.

Yes, but then I can't select those partitions to install to.

I tried and tried and tried to make Test1 install to an existing
partition but it refused, it would only install to a partition
that Disk Druid created, but Disk Druid trashed my partition table.

I found a solution (boot with hda=cyl,heads,sectors) but not on this
mailing list (or any other fedora mailing list for that matter) but on
a website where someone had posted "how I made fedora install on my
thinkpad"

I apologize for mixing my issue with the lilo issue (mine wasn't grub
related)
but the attitude I saw on the mailing list made me appreciate Guy and Mike's
comments: the FC4 installs do not work on very very very common hardware and
any time we ask for help or understanding or a way to use tools that we
know _do_ work we get told that we're not helpful and should shut up.

Sure, Guy got carried away, but so did the people who followed him up
accusing
him of just being a troll.

I'm trying to find out what Fedora's goal is: I know RedHat controls it and
I'm used to working around RedHat things, but when it just plain doesn't
work
with my brand new laptop, made by such a small little known company (IBM)
and I see other people getting frustrated as well and things like OpenOffice
being installed on a minimal setup....

That's gotta suck :)

Dana "OK, going back to work" Lacoste