FC4t2 no good without LILO

Graydon graydon at epiphyte.net
Tue Apr 12 22:48:44 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 12, 2005 at 03:23:59PM -0700, Dana Lacoste scripsit:
> This one's for Peter Jones.
>
> He was whining about not having specific information
> and not willing to look in the archives.
>
> Well, here it is.  You ignored it earlier, will you answer it now?
>
> grub doesn't work.
>
> lilo fixes problem.

That one got a long answer; one of the things in the answer is that,
sure, it boots, but it boots because lilo doesn't check that it knows
how to deal with the partition and will cheerfully do things that
involve high risks of data corruption and altered partition sizes.

Grub does check, and will refuse to boot if all it's going to do is
damage your data.

Grub's behaviour strikes me as preferable.