FC4t2 no good without LILO

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Tue Apr 12 23:14:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-04 at 16:03 -0700, Dana Lacoste wrote:
> ...and grub allows for a more of a sparc or bsd-style boot loader,
> where you can specify the kernel you want to boot without needing
> to reload lilo and it's more modern and looks better and.....
>
> the arguments for grub vs. lilo aren't that lilo is better, it's
> that lilo is working for someone where grub specifically doesn't.
>
> in my previously mentioned problem, disk druid trashed my
> partition table but all the other tools didn't.
>
> so I'll ask this question then :
>
> if redhat (this is a core issue, they control core) is desiring that
> lilo be phased out (not a bad idea in itself) and that disk druid
> be the partition editor of choice (far prettier and easier to use
> than sfdisk! :) and that other tools that used to work but suck
> in comparison to modern tools be eliminated, then can we at least
> make a "deprecated" list and say "these tools will be eliminated from
> the final distribution [once the test releases are done] so if you
> need them can you let us know so we can work out the bugs in the tools
> we want to use instead"?
>
> Dana Lacoste

Better yet, since seeing all the problems with GRUB, they should
put LILO back until the bugs are resolved.

I keep hearing there are more bugs about GRUB because thats what
more people are using. That is nonsense I never had a problem
that required a bug report with LILO and each bug I found with
GRUB already had at least on bug that was already listed for
the same problem I saw, and none had solutions that fixed the
problem, hence I am pretty sure I didn't post a bug report.