New 'ClearLooks' Artwork

Kyle Pointer kapointer at charter.net
Wed Apr 13 12:13:59 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 14:32 +1000, Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 18:33 -0400, Jeffrey D. Yuille wrote:
> > On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 07:46 -0500, Kyle Pointer wrote:
> > > I just updated my fedora core 4 test 1 to fedora core 4 test 2 just to
> > > see if there where any sort of changes I wasn't getting with YUM.
> > > And I noticed that they have changed the default theme. :-\
> > > I love the old Bluecurve theme and think it should stay the same. And I
> > > think the GNOME LOGO or Red Hat should be optional somehow. Because one
> > > of the major reasons I have been using redhat products is because how
> > > nice they look.
> > > Now don't get me wrong, I think ClearLooks is nice and all, but I still
> > > think the default theme should be Bluecurve.
> > > I mean, its simple enough to change it, but when I was a new user and
> > > had no idea how to change themes etc. I had always been very fond of
> > > bluecurve.
> > > -- Kyle Pointer
> > >

> >      I agree wholeheartedly - why not keep the old BlueCurve as the
> > default theme? I also believe that the RedHat logo should be optional.
> > After all, that's what makes Fedora what it is - it's distinguishable
> > red hat (Fedora).
>
> I actually prefer ClearLook to BlueCurve, but each to their own.
>
> I believe (but could be wrong) that the move to ClearLook is part of the
> philosophy of trying to follow upstream trends as much as possible for
> various packages.  With ClearLook set to become the default theme for
> Gnome it would appear that FC is following this upstream trend and using
> is as the default them for FC4.
>

> R.

My main problem with something like that is that there is no KDE
"Clearlooks" theme, and that would undo the work of quite a few people
who worked on bluecurve specifically to 'unite' the KDE and GNOME
desktops so that an applications from KDE look like GNOME applications
and don't confuse new users. ( not that its that big of a deal ), but
what I would like to propose is that the "Global Theme" be something
that can be chosen with say, firstboot. I'd be glad to attempt to
implement that, but I have never used PyGTK before so I probably won't
get very far very soon. Any other ideas? system-config-themes :-P
That might be a little overdone but, it would give users a choice.
Because most users have 'no' idea how to edit /etc/gtk-2.0/gtkrc and get
the theme they want.
Just a proposition.
-- Kyle Pointer