FC4t2 no good without LILO

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 12:28:11 UTC 2005

On 4/12/05, Mike Bird <mgb-fedora at yosemite.net> wrote:
> Historically Grub has been unreliable.  [See bugzillas for Fedora,
> Debian, GNU, etc, etc.]  If someone tested the latest version of Grub
> for six months and found no bugs at all, that would not change the fact
> that historically Grub has been notoriously unreliable.

yawn... historically...lilo was removed once before.. in a test
release i think during fc1 testing phase... it came back because there
were SPECIFIC issues that were flagged during testing that convinced
developers to keep lilo in.  Those SPECIFIC issues are fixed or are
slated to be fixed during this test cycle.  If you have other SPECIFIC
issues with the currently aviable grub package in rawhide, raise them
and they will be evaluated case-by-case.

this whole fantasy that core developers are not responsive to concerns
is childish. We have already been through this once with lilo... and
lilo was put back because comptent testers did what was requested of
them and actually tested grub, found a siginificant problem, and
convinced developers with SPECIFICS in bug reports that lilo needed to
be placed back as an option. This has all happened before... except
this time, there doesn't seem to be anyone yet in this thread who is
willing to do the testing work and report back. Instead...this time,
people like you are content in making demands without new technical
justification. From where I sit, you are moving away from your goal
not towards it.  You can continue to yell at scream and demand lilo
get put back, or you can get on with testing grub in the situations
that you care about and reporting back with details.  I dare say the
first option isn't going to work very well.

-jef"the best way to protest the development decisions.. is organize a
worldwide 'hold your breath' action"spaleta