nforce3 250 gb SATA, NIC

Graydon graydon at epiphyte.net
Wed Apr 13 22:11:42 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:45:53AM +0200, Rajmund Krivec scripsit:
[snip]
> 1. I would buy that explanation if it were not for the fact that
> the Fedore Core 2 (that's two, or T W O ) broke down on kernel upgrade
> (its own installation not found, disk not mounted whether I use
> root=/dev/hde3 or root=0303 or root=33:3 etc.). What has nVidia
> to do with the fact that stock FC2 works on some motherboard and
> FC2 upgrade and FC3, do not?

That sort of weirdness is usually either really deep kernel weirdness or
hardware.  If you google around and check bugzilla and bunches of other
people aren't having the problem, hardware is at least the first thing
to look at.

The thing the nVidia drivers *might* have to do with it is that there
was a change of minor versions with the upgrades, at least with FC3; if
the driver relies on something that was true with a prior release that
is no longer true with the newer release in the upgrade, stuff can break
because what it thinks it's calling and what it is actually calling
differ.

> 2. Second, do you speak from experience?

So far as the nvidia drivers and linux go, yup.  Have had real
head-banging problems with linux on one of the Shuttle motherboards with
an nVidia chip set.  Haven't dealt with your particular hardware.